Whether you are looking for a career for the first time, changing careers or returning from military service, deciding what career is right for you can be confusing. The right choice can offer you the right opportunities; professional advancement, a rewarding work environment, diversity in job options, service to your community and attractive benefits. At the Alpena County Sheriff’s Office we understand that these opportunities are an important part of your career building plan.
The Alpena County Sheriff’s Office is committed to providing the highest quality police service and protection to our residents and visitors of Alpena County. We are looking for career seekers who understand problem solving, critical thinking, are disciplined, good communicators, display integrity, honesty and commitment, want to make a difference and have a desire to serve their community.
If you feel that we are a good match, we can offer you a variety of exciting and challenging career opportunities that make a difference in the community in which you work, live and play.
Currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Animal Care Technician (Animal Control Shelter)
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a cover letter/letter of interest and a list of three professional references to Deputy Reid, ACO. Letters of interest can be dropped off at the Alpena County Sheriff’s Office located at 4900 M32 W, Alpena MI 49707 or at the Alpena County Animal Control Shelter located at the Alpena County Fairgrounds. If dropping off to the shelter, call ahead 989-884-2248.
SUMMARY: A part-time Animal Care Technician is a non-benefited position responsible for carrying out the day to day operations of the Alpena County Animal Control Shelter, subject to the general direction of the Shelter Manager and Animal Control Officer, by providing compassionate care and husbandry to ensure the proper health and welfare of the shelter animals. An Animal Care Technician must be passionate about animals, be physically active, reliable and willing to learn.
POSITION STATUS: Part-Time, non-benefited position
NUMBER OF OPENINGS: One
HOURS: Will vary, semi-flexible. Coverage includes weekdays, weekends and holidays
WAGE: $16.00 an hour
EXPERIENCE: None required – Will train. The ideal candidate will be able to grow in the job, developing competencies and responsibilities. Training as a veterinary assistant or technician, a degree in animal science, or previous training/experience in the animal control field will be advantageous
WORKSITE: Alpena County Animal Control Shelter located at the Alpena County Fairgrounds
* Must be passionate about animals and animal welfare
* Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
* Excellent interpersonal skills
* Be fluent working on computers and accurate in maintaining records
* Excellent basic math, reading and writing skills
* Must be able to follow instructions and take direction well; must be open minded and trainable
* Available to work odd hours/shifts, holidays and weekends
* Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
* Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
* Must be able to meet all physical demands, including but not limited to, lifting 50 pounds without assistance, work standing for 4 or more hours at a time, be physically active (for walking dogs), bend/crouch and kneel repeatedly and have good range of motion in back and knees.
* Pass drug test
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: (very helpful but not required)
* Should have knowledge of the Alpena County Animal Control Ordinance
* Basic understanding of Michigan Dog Laws
* A basic understanding of Animal Control and Control Shelters
ESSENTIAL DUTIES (Include but not limited to)
* Food preparation and feeding shelter animals as directed
* Cleaning litter boxes (including spot cleaning throughout shift)
* Washing/disinfecting kennels and cages (including spot cleaning throughout shift)
* Washing dishes and bowls
* Changing and laundering animal bedding
* Monitor the health and comfort of the shelter animals and immediately report health or behavior abnormalities to Shelter Manager and/or Animal Control Officer
* Bathing and grooming shelter animals, as needed
* Walking dogs, of all training levels, according to protocol
* Provide shelter animals with socialization and enrichment
* Complete animal intakes
* Return animals to their owner(s)
* Maintain neat and accurate documentation on animal records
* Administer treatment and/or medications as instructed
* Provide care to post-surgical patients
* Transport shelter animals for veterinary care or surgery
* Restraining, moving and lifting shelter animals
* Handling dogs and cats of all breeds, sizes, ages and temperament
* Willing to be present during animal euthanasia
* Other duties as assigned
* Follow established disease control protocols, as directed, to clean, disinfect and maintain shelter kennels (inside and outside), cages and general areas (inside and outside) daily
* Sweep, mop and disinfect floors, as directed (including spot clean throughout shift)
* Deep clean shelter including tops and bottoms of cages, intake and isolation areas on a regular basis
* Disinfect and stow animal carriers
* Operate laundry equipment
* Restock cleaning areas with supplies and equipment
* Organize and stow donations
* Clean and maintain the exercise yard
* Other duties as assigned
* Follow intake protocol of animals
* Follow return-to-owner process
* Assist clients with animal adoption process
* Facilitate client/animal interactions to insure a safe and pleasant experience
* Maintain good working relationship with co-workers, work cooperatively with volunteers, recognizing the talent and commitment they bring to our organization
* Interact with the public with compassion and in a respectful manor
* Maintain a positive public image both on and away from the job site
Full-Time Deputy Sheriff (Road Patrol)
Opening Date: 02/01/2021
Closing Date: Until Filled
The Alpena County Sheriff’s Office is currently accepting applications to fill a full-time Deputy Sheriff (Road Patrol) position.
The current first-year base salary is $41,912 with a 7 year progressive wage increase up to $52,000, plus healthcare, retirement benefits, and overtime opportunities.
QUALIFICATIONS (General requirements include, but are not limited to):
Candidates must be MCOLES licensed or eligible for licensing.
Must pass a drug screen, physical, psychiatric exam, and background investigation
Possess a valid operator’s license
At least 21 years of age
Be a United States citizen
Employment applications can be found on the Alpena County website. This application must be completed prior to consideration.
Website: www.alpenasheriff.com or www.alpenacounty.org. Print the application HERE: Application
Application, resume and cover letter can be hand delivered or mailed to :
Attn: Sheriff Steven J. Kieliszewski
Alpena County Sheriff’s Office
320 Johnson St
Alpena, MI 49707
Full-Time Correctional Officer
Starting Salary: $41,800 with a four-year progressive wage increase up to $50,960. Lateral pay will be considered.
Benefits: Health Savings Account, Defined Contribution plan with a 5% automatic employer contribution plus a 5% match, Dental, Vision, PTO, 12 Hour Shifts.
Date Posted: 01/26/2022
Deadline: Until Filled
The Alpena County Sheriff’s Office is looking for dedicated individuals to provide the community with a challenging but essential service. Applicants should display integrity, patience, critical thinking skills and honor. Opportunities for advancement are available. If you’re seeking an exciting and rewarding career, apply today!
- Supervision of inmates and inmate activity.
- Provide care and correctional treatment of inmates.
- Manages inmate holding areas.
- Ensures that inmates remain in custody.
- Transport and escort inmates within secured areas according to relevant laws, policies, and procedures.
- Contributes to the maintenance of institution security.
- Performs searches on inmates and visitors.
- Checks mail for contraband, such as weapons or drugs.
- Prepares incident reports and other documentation.
- Enforces rules and regulations governing facility security, inmate conduct, and inmate accountability.
- Conducts accurate headcounts.
- Inventories inmates’ personal property and issues receipts.
- Break up physical confrontations and protect inmates and fellow officers from harm.
- Provides emergency assistance as needed, including but not limited to CPR, first aid, escape of inmates, and evacuation procedures.
- Must be 18 years old.
- United States Citizenship.
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- Must possess a valid operator’s license.
- Must conduct an oral interview to determine the applicant’s acceptability for a corrections officer position.
- Must not have ANY prior felony convictions.
- Must possess good moral character as determined by a favorable comprehensive background investigation covering school and employment records, home environment, and personal traits and integrity.
- Consideration will be given to all criminal and civil law violations as indicating a lack of good character.
- Fingerprint the applicant with a search of state and federal fingerprint files to disclose criminal record.
- Must be tested for the use of controlled substances. The testing will be completed after a conditional offer of employment (ADA Requirement).
- Must be deemed mentally fit by MSCTC guidelines.
- Must pass the LCOPAT.
Employment applications can be found on the Alpena County website.
Application, resume and cover letter for corrections can be hand delivered, emailed, or mailed to:
Sgt. Christina Bednarski
Alpena County Sheriff’s Office
4900 M-32 W
Alpena, MI 49707
For inquiries please contact Sgt. Christina Bednarski at 989-354-9835